Thursday, April 16, 2009

Baby Food

When Jeremy was born, my cousin Christine sent me a book about making baby food. I bought some Gerber baby food as well to start him out. I didn't want to make a huge batch of one food before I knew if Jeremy could handle it. I must say I have really enjoyed making the food. Plus I have so much in the freezer for him.

I started with sweet potatoes. Then on to butternut squash. Those were pretty easy. Cook, scoop into food processor, puree, put in ice cube trays to freeze, and then take frozen cubes in a freezer bag. And the shocking thing is that I actually enjoyed the sweet potato and squash leftovers. I usually am not a fan of those. But maybe it was a texture thing. So maybe I will just eat baby food the rest of my life. The next baby food was carrots. I was not looking forward to those because I had to peel them. I am very lazy. On Sunday Jeremy started his first fruit: pears. I was dreading it because I thought he wouldn't enjoy his veggies anymore. And since then he has been a little more whinny when eating things that don't have pears in them. Oh well.


I am not a huge fan of pears. But I tried some of Jeremy's and actually enjoyed it. So maybe if I make all my fruits in sauce form, I would like it.


This morning I finally had the time to make the pears and peaches. Jeremy was very helpful in this process because he took a nap.
I bought a lot of peas and green beans baby food because I think they would take more work to make sure they are pureed enough for Jeremy. I also bought no sugar added applesauce for him, which was like the same price as two containers of baby food applesauce. On my counter is a banana ripening that has Jeremy's name on it for this weekend. I probably will have Graig feed him that because I can't stand even the smell of bananas.

So now I have quite the stock of baby food. I don't think I will be making his cereal. That would be a lot of work! I am looking forward to when he is a little older and you don't have to cook the fruit. One less step.

Wow I just read my post and I sound like a very picky eater! Just add fish to the list and I think that's about all that I won't eat.

3 comments:

Kathie said...

So nice that Jeremy was so helpful in the making of his food!! I am certain he will enjoy it all as he appears to be quite the eater :)

Anonymous said...

you are an amazing mom!!

Jackie said...

I loved making the kids baby food...until I just had too much to do! I did peas and green beans and it was a pain due to the skins! It is nice once you don't have to blend it...although then they can throw it on the floor too!